Orca Cola Championship
Sign in to follow this  
cbbakke

Looking for a different kind of league

I enjoy ORCA and plan to continue to be part of it, the management here does an amazing job keeping it flowing. I am looking for another league to do that is more on the tactical part of the game then then kill other team stall ball end. anybody know of such a league? The Mini max, blitz bowl stall ball is the best way to win in blood bowl. it just gets rather boring for me at times and relies so heavily on how your armor rolls go vs the tactical side. 

Hmm.  I guess the issue is that to win, you employ the best tactics.  The best tactics are the 2-1 grind.

There are plenty of ways to combat the 2-1 grind, and if you find yourself consistently stalled on, then there is probably an issue with your positioning.

There are games where your armour is paper, theirs is diamond and you roll on 1s, but over the season playing well will trump any dice variability.

That said, I do run the largest stunty league on BB2, so perhaps that insanity will be more to your liking?

Playing in a way that forfeits your chances to win the match isn't tactical, and saying that Blood Bowl boils down to the result of armour rolls is gross reductionism. So I'm not sure what you're looking for. Perhaps you want to play in a no-bash league? I'm not sure how many of those are around that aren't centred on stunty teams or have some other gimmick.

There are teams which discourage stalling tactics. 

Others have already mentioned Stunty. Me being me, I will of course cite vampires as an example. It's usually difficult for your opponent to stall because the ballcarrier is never safe, while you can't stall either as a) you cannot guarantee your ballcarrier will actually want to score on any given turn, plus you generally need as many KO rolls as possible. 

There are a few different factors at play. Here is an attempt to break them down:

Impact of the league rules

Some BB leagues have specific rules that will have immediate impact on how "bashy" they are. Examples of such rules are:

- "Stunty teams only"

- "Only one kill skill per player"

- "No more than X% of any given team in the whole league"

The first two examples are rather rare in public leagues, they deviate considerably from the default, standard ruleset, and therefore in my experience tend to attract fewer players. The last example is something that might be found a little more often. If I'm not mistaken, the UKBBL uses a maximum quota for teams (I might be wrong, but I'm sure there's at least one of the bigger leagues out there that does it). The impact of this on the bashiness of the league is a little bit more subtle, of course. But if you only allow a certain amount of Chaos teams, I'm pretty sure it will have some effect.

Differences between leagues with the same rules

Even if two leagues have the same rules, they might still differ in how bashy they are or feel. Part of what makes leagues different is of course the coaches playing in them, as well as the league's history. Over time a certain style might come to dominate, and there's also the usual ebb and flow of "Claw vs. Orc vs. Elf vs. Claw", which might be at one extreme right now, but then turn back another way in a few months.

It's going to be difficult to put your finger on why exactly the OCC might be particularly bashy in this context, and it will be equally difficult to judge whether another league will turn out to be more or less bashy now, or in a few months. However, it's not the first time I've heard that the OCC is currently more on the bashy side. In fact, Schlice wrote analysis on the statistics here and here, and the OCC turned out to be a bit weird and bashy - but this was a couple of seasons ago at least.

Your own impact

No matter how bashy the league is that you play in, you can always choose to "play around the bash". Fast, agile teams can be pretty successful in a bashy environment - especially if all the claw teams have reduced the number of Orcs. You shouldn't get too attached to your players, of course. After all, you're playing Elves/Skaven with tons of MB players around, someone's gonna get hurt. But you can still be very successful, even when your team gets beaten up regularly, if you're playing Elves against lots of Chaos/Nurgle/Chorf teams.

Awards

• REBBL, MML and CCL all have relatively similar patterns while I have no idea what they’re putting in the water over at OCC to get such a weird relationship (stunty teams mixed in with the regular ones?).

OCC looked weird before, and it only gets weirder the deeper you look. I mean really, touchdowns being most associated with casualties/kills handed out in the first two PCs? Basically don’t play in OCC if you value your player’s lives.

Sniffle. I'm so proud.

2 minutes ago, Doomy77 said:

Have you noticed how Mormons go door to door in pairs?

And there you run off proselytizing without me.  Or maybe I am just late, a bad saint.  

Awards

13 hours ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

Playing in a way that forfeits your chances to win the match isn't tactical, and saying that Blood Bowl boils down to the result of armour rolls is gross reductionism. So I'm not sure what you're looking for. Perhaps you want to play in a no-bash league? I'm not sure how many of those are around that aren't centred on stunty teams or have some other gimmick.

is it though really? Both teams have a serial killer. the team that rolls better on armor rolls especially early in that game is going to win almost every time. I am not knocking the tactic because it is the way to win in the current game. I am just looking for a game with more action and flow to it. I dont mind bashing, but games where they are more tactical and action based then half the game spent with the ball ina  cage and both teams doing their blitz hoping for a cas. 

A number of elf teams have won the OCC. They don't do that by causing the most casualties but by scoring more TD's.

Keep your TV low enough to always get a wizard. Score quick , use the wizard and your AG4 to be 2-0 up at half time and your opponent has to score quickly to have a chance of winning.

If you play a bash team another bash team will play for the 2-1 grind and it will be mainly about causing casualties.

If you play bash against elves you try for the 2-1 grind as it is your best chance to win.

If you play an agility team you have a better chance of a defensive TD against bash which stops the 2-1 grind.

If you play an agility team against another AG team you usually get a shootout with lots of TD's.

So if you are bored on the 2-1 grind just take some woodies and play in short term leagues where the killers don't get all the skills.

I have played blood bowl on and off since 95. I have played in all kinds of leagues. The standard league is what it is. I am just looking for a league that is more set up for a variation in style of play.  Elves dont usually rack of Caus but many of them stall just as much it just looks a little different. 

If nothing out there scratches your particular itch, feel free to start your own league. I’m sure we’ll be happy to give you forum space for it too.

I have a rule set I want to try but it has to be table top because I cant  modify the rules enough in game to make it work to test out. I will think on some ideas on how to do it. something to create a sense of urgency to score sooner then later but also want to play defense. Score difference and total points scored being important type thing. I think people would find the change of pace enjoyable to be more action and fast paced then grind and bash. but we will see

If you want to be presented with tactical challenges every game, play Underworld.

I know of no other race that has games play out in such a different way each time.

To further challenge yourself you could opt to build the blitzers into something that's not killers.

Otherwise I just recommend playing elves and scoring as soon as you can, that way you get more chances to steal the ball from the opposition.

Might not always be the best option, but hey.

I have some rules that I have worked on but there is no way to play test them with the PC version of the game. I don't mind carnage and players dying at all. I just would like a little bit more of a sense of urgency and the need to make plays through out the game.