Orca Cola Championship
Sign in to follow this  
Waleed

Is COL worth playing in regularly?

Hi Everyone, I have joined five Leagues in the last few weeks to get practice: but these are all over the place regarding organizing games.
Is COL worth playing in for regular games against good quality opponents?

Thanks.

I've played little COL, and it's what you'd expect.

Sometimes you'll end up a against someone who's been playing the game for 20 years and other times you'll get someone who fouls your Gnoblars with Orc Blitzers or won't stop calling you a cheater. I think matchmaking is based purely on your TV, so it's unpredictable and not everyone will be "a good quality opponent".

It's not for me, but if you don't mind coming up against the occasional newbie, shit-talker or ragequitter you could always give it a go.

I do feel like it's my duty to point to THIS THREAD.

Agreed.  Now that the CCL exists a high majority of players who want to play a pick up game that won't likely end in a concede as soon as some bad dice are rolled go there since there are rules in place to discourage concedes. 

12 hours ago, C2MC said:

I've played little COL, and it's what you'd expect.

Sometimes you'll end up a against someone who's been playing the game for 20 years and other times you'll get someone who fouls your Gnoblars with Orc Blitzers or won't stop calling you a cheater. I think matchmaking is based purely on your TV, so it's unpredictable and not everyone will be "a good quality opponent".

It's not for me, but if you don't mind coming up against the occasional newbie, shit-talker or ragequitter you could always give it a go.

I do feel like it's my duty to point to THIS THREAD.

Ah, yes, I had that in BB1.
Champions ladder is what I'll try come 3rd September [I have commitments to 5 Leagues....I became..ahem..a bit too keen..!] - just checked it out, and recognized a slew of Coaches in there :D

11 hours ago, Mongloom said:

For MM matches with random players, go to the CCL not the open ladder.

You can always play on the Orca Cola Brawl ladder with some OCC coaches!

http://www.orca-cola.com/beta/index.php?/forum/512-orca-cola-brawl/

Thank you!...in September will give CCL a good attempt :D

11 hours ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

No.

To the point: will do....NOT playing in COL.

7 hours ago, Javelin said:

Agreed.  Now that the CCL exists a high majority of players who want to play a pick up game that won't likely end in a concede as soon as some bad dice are rolled go there since there are rules in place to discourage concedes. 

Thanks Javelin..that makes sense now...a Commissioner at the UKBBL thought there were rules against conceding in there.
I am definitely going to give CCL a good go...with the aim of  improving my play...from 3rd September...:ninja:

I play my pidpad challenge teams in COL as it's perpetual - CCL only lasts a couple of months as it's reset. 

The  quality is generally OK, I've not found it as bad as some. 

4 hours ago, Ethelred said:

I play my pidpad challenge teams in COL as it's perpetual - CCL only lasts a couple of months as it's reset. 

The  quality is generally OK, I've not found it as bad as some. 

CCL has been very good - all Coaches playing to the end - and has improved my play.

Ah, yes, The Pidpad Challenge...I should do that!!
Some races I have NEVER Coached....

Have cut down my Leagues to four....in a fortnight will be three.
Two weekly and one fortnightly.
..in ad-hoc gaps have tried COL...2 games for my Pidpad Challenge.

One coach zero chat, other coach pleasant.

Will probably try the odd COL game for my Pidpad Challenge, unless it becomes unpleasant...

I had two matches in COL and was reminded of why I vowed never to return to it. I play some extra matches in the Orca Cola Brawl. We could use some more coaches in there! :D 

I'd say that the Championship ladder is a better bet, but it also comes with time constraints. 6 weeks (I Think) Before it resets.

So, if you're Confident of getting 50 games in (or whatever number you actually choose) that's a better Place than COL in my opinion at least.

Wonky capitalization squarely blamed at some stupid autocorrect thing at this work computer.