Orca Cola Championship
Sign in to follow this  
Rymdkejsaren

Time to widen the net?

So, we're not seeing quite as much action as I had hoped from OCC coaches. I do want to add OCB awards as an incentive, but we need to get all the ones we have planned working, first. Some other kind of prize might also be an idea, and I'm thinking we could add prize pool support like you suggested, Borke. One game from each category every 6 months isn't going to create a huge dent and might make people more interested. 

Another idea is to start some advertising to bring in coaches from outside of the OCC.

Thoughts, ideas?

Awards

I think it's a little bit too early to advertise outside of OCC.

We can't expect every OCC coach to be interested in laddering. I think the numbers will increase still, when people who want to "spin" only occasionally find their way to the OCB.

What might be a good idea is to encourage coaches already in the OCB to invite friends. And I think I should also refresh the announcement on our forus - once might not be enough.

Awards could be a very nice incentive, I feel. Prizes might of course be, too, but I think we need a certain number of coaches first before that's justified.

Awards

We could shamelessly use the @everyone tag in Discord, sometime in the evening when we have a good crowd (we get up towards 100 people there at times). I'm generally for being very restrictive with it. But informing people of the existence of Brawl is a good reason, I believe, as long as it's a very limited thing (once now, maybe again in a few weeks or so).

Awards

Agreed, that sounds like a good plan!

Awards

Also, how about I work on a nice announcement post for you that's a bit more -- uh -- lively than your last one? :D

That stuff works! Let's try to give the brawl a bit of an image, some attitude. Maybe a tagline.

ARE YOU ORCA ENOUGH?

Awards

I'm definitely not above using other people's material for promoting the OCB. :P

I'm the first to admit that creative writing is not a strong suit of mine. I can appreciate it when I see it, but I can't for the life of me produce it ;)

So yeah, I like GOT BRAWL? And I would like to have written a more engaging announcement in the first place, but it's not something I can put together at short notice (if at all).

Awards

I'm fine if you post something as well, of course!

I might be the one who spearheaded the OCB, but I think it makes perfect sense if other green suits promote it, too.

Awards

HEY, YOU.

FcUbvoi.png

YEAH, YOU. GOT BRAWL?

8azqEiw.png

IT'S AN OPEN LADDER RUN BY THE FINE FOLKS AT THE OCC.

ddZMdnb.png

IT'S NOT NICE. IT'S BRUTAL. YOU'LL NEED YOUR WARFACE.

8azqEiw.png

LIKE THIS.

nDE85Ag.jpg

HEY, YOU. GOT BRAWL?

TmaPdz8.png

(League name: Orca Cola Brawl. The best way to find matches is to check out the #brawl channel on our Discord server. Got Brawl?)

Awards

I love it! :D

I really do!

Awards

The ad brought some new faces but we're only getting a few matches a day, and a lot are with the same few coaches.

We need to bring in more people.

I can custom up some ads to put on external sites, staying basic but mentioning that you can't concede and that it's a good idea to hang out on Discord.

Awards

I agree that some more people would be good, as they would allow everyone to get more matches played (I often see a coach here and there looking for a match, but not finding one).

It's hard to say where the comfortable number of coaches is at, but we won't know until we try :)

So yeah, I'm in on the plan!

Awards

That's my feeling as well (that there won't be an explosion). And if we have an explosion - we'll handle it ;)

Awards

I’ll just mention a new season of the official CCL with the cash prize tourney is about to start.

And there is also the “NAF Official” fixed tv res ladder set up by Jimmy Fantastic which will get a bit of streamer coverage.

So we are fishing in a restricted pool (BB2 coaches who want something better than the official open/anarchy ladders) and have competition.

I don’t mean to be pessimistic, just to say don’t be disheartened if momentum is slow despite your good efforts RK!

That's fair enough. I've done exactly zero research in the last year or so on other MM leagues. Orielensis, you seem to have an idea already of what's out there. Could you write up a brief summary of the 'competition'? I'm interested in what's available. When we know, we can decide what we want to offer that's different or better.

I mean, I think we should profile ourselves as friendly and regulated. I think we should use our OCC fame to our advantage. But what else can we do?

I can chat with AndyDavo & Zunk, I'm sure they'll be happy to mention the OCB while they stream. Any other streamers we could approach, maybe set up some matches with them in OCB? Streamers are definitely a big key, here.

I want the OCB to become a league people can spin in the evenings. I accept that it will take a lot of time and effort. Let's put our heads together and try to tackle the problem.

Awards

To be perfectly honest, growing a league like this is difficult.  It takes a lot of time, effort and coverage.  The only reason FOL got the scale it did is because I had the backing from Cyanide, the notoriety from the forums, the people (such as Verbal) talking about it non-stop in chat, put the effort into policing it properly, and had very little in the way of comparable competition - much of that is also true of CCL.  I have no doubt the effort is there, but the other aspects are more difficult to achieve.  A few games a day is actually pretty good going.

Awards

So we need RK to become as forum notorious as Dode - step 1!

From a community point of view I’d say on other ladders:

Official ones:

Open and Anarchy - farmed teams can be entered in Open, custom and the mixed race teams in anarchy. Both have a very high rate of conceding and low standard of play. I don’t think you see loads of people who would be members of private leagues here, except maybe to get a few relaxing easy wins. So not really our competition.

CCL - this would be our main problem in terms of competition. This will be first thought for the vast majority of BBers wanting a good quality, concede free pick up game. There is a 5 strikes and you’re out for the season rule policed by Dode and other very respected admins. Population is good at most eu friendly times and I assume us prime time. People still complain about tv mismatches (cap is 500 and successful teams pick up net win adjustments making them more likely to match with higher tv oppo). Best few teams each season (usually about every 6-7 week’s?) go into a knock out playoff with cash prizes. Still plenty of new/poor players and complaining/insults in chat (though this can also be reported). Personally once was enough for me in terms of the grinding required to get to the playoff. If I’m just playing a few ladder games a week I’d rather spin where I think it will be more of a private league atmosphere and higher standard opposition (consistently).

Strippin and Cknoor ladders - Two huge streamers from a BB2 perspective. I gather their ladders are not popular except during streams. Also likely to be quite a poor standard of play.

NAF official - this is new. Uses the NAF euro open ruleset for custom teams (1100 plus 6 for tier 1) and res. So ticketed entry. No clear admin policies otherwise (eg chat or conceding). A few of the not quite so popular but much better quality (in terms of BB!) streamers play in this. The format limits mass appeal and makes it very distinct from Brawl.

I think trying to compete with CCL for the quality end of the mass market is probably doomed. The OCC ladder does hold a lot of attraction for the private league player who wants a consistently much better experience than CCL though, with a lot more flexibility than NAF ladder.

my thoughts!

Honestly, I think your best bet would be to push for Cyanide to add a challenge mode.  What that would do is provide you with a "no wait times" USP over CCL as well as a good use of discord for properly arranging matches.

Awards

First thanks for the invite!

I will be sharing a post with the other vampire coaches and I will be talking with Yarrick about possibly doing the same in his ogre one. 

Been doing farm/brawl games for about a year now and really hoping to help this grow so I don't have to find matches on PS4 anymore. 

I think a grassroots movement can do a lot of good. It's surprising how many people haven't figured out this even exists yet. And others need some encouragement to join because one or another reason. So let's take some time to poke people around us. Also, if anyone is enthusiastic about the OCB, try to get them to help us with recruitment, even if it's just chatting with coaches they play in OCC etc.

Awards

Sign in to follow this