Orca Cola Championship
Sign in to follow this  
danton

Arena

Share your drafts and experiences, or just come and complain about Mage, Rogue and Paladin!

This is my preferred form of playing this game. I am not particularly good at it, my runs usually are 2-5 wins. My personal best is 10 wins.

My biggest complaint is the huge amount of Mage. Heck, I might be part of the problem, but oh my so much Mage in Arena.

Awards

It used to be worse! :DNow at least Flamestrike is much less common and I think that Paladin is stronger in general at the moment. Arena could definitely do with a bit more variety all the same!

I play more Constructed than Arena generally, but still enjoy Arena and manage to fit in 10-20 runs a month. I track my runs using the Hearth Arena site and play all classes equally, because I prefer to have a more varied experience instead of choosing only the best classes every time to try and maximize win rates. 

I average around 5 wins and have had around twelve 12 win runs using 5 different classes. My objective is to eventually get twelve wins at least once with each class!

Is there an App to track the runs? Or manual work? Could be interesting. I play perhaps 10 Arena runs a month.

Awards

Hearth Arena have an app that adds an overlay to the game on PC I think. I do everything manually via the site though because I play on different devices. 

Ah Arena; where I mostly play seriously because in constructed I just do goofy stuff.

Awards

The most tilting Arena loss ever just happened to me.

I'm Hunter. I have a big board advantage includeing a buffed 9/11 Mammoth; and lethal in 2 turns against a Warlock.

He plays Cabal Courier and makes a Void Terror; 11/8.

I play a Frozen Crusher; and go face with the Mammoth because the Warlock cannot deal with my board. If he had cards to deal with a large Mammoth; he'd have done it last turn after all, even if Courier pulled a Poly or a Death or something. Even when he trades Void Terror for Mammoth; he's still in lethal range easily. That and I'm Hunter; he's Warlock. I need to get him down to stop him tapping; or else I might run out of steam.

Mind Control from Kabal Courier.

That's a way to lose.

Did I mention this Hunter Draft didn't have a single Houndmaster or Razormaw even show up?

Edited by raikaria

Awards

Ouch!

I've been doing better than average with Hunter in Arena recently. Currently am 7-1 with a Hunter deck there. Drafted 3 explosive shots, which are great for helping to dominate the board, while you wear them down with the hero power. 

This was an amusing way to end the game.

My board; after the enemy Mage had traded; was a 6/6 Flame Elemental.

The enemy Mage's board was a 3/3 [I forgot what] the 2/4 Gnome that draws a card; and Kazakus; who he'd just played and made a potion. This is like; Turn 12. The enemy Mage is on 12 HP.

Thing is earlier I played my Arcanologist and pulled the only secret in my deck; which is a secret I actively draft in Mage area after it carried a deck to 12 wins with a 2 of: Counterspell.

I also had a Flamestrike.

So; knowing like a book what the enemy Mage was going to do; Spend 10 mana play Kazakus potion [Especially with the speed they made the first selection]; I Flamestruck + Counterspelled.

Of course; I wondered if the enemy Mage would walk right into it. They do have 4 other cards and I did just play a secret I've been sitting on since Turn 2 right after he played Kazakus.

The Mage thinks for about 5 seconds. And plays a 10 mana Kazakus Potion. Counterspell pops; and they immediately concede. I don't even get the satisfaction of checking the sidebar to see what they were going to do. That's how fast the concede button was hit.

latest?cb=20150323022708

Also why the hell is every Babbleing Book giving me Freezeing Potion or Glacial Mysteries?

Edited by raikaria

Awards

Went 11-3 with a Mage deck yesterday. Managed to draft 5 dragons, including 2 Primordial Drakes and a Netherspite historian (took a risk with that as I drafted it at the start and it paid off). Nice to have some decent synergy in Arena for a change!

I always draft Netherspite historian, and it almost never pays off, but good fun when it does :-)

Awards

OK that was dirty but so satisfying to kill a DK in Arena... First time I actually manage it and my deck is far from OP.

OXId4Iz.jpg

Edited by Barristan

Well that was probably my last good Warrior Arena run for the foreseeable future. No way this deck does 9 after FWA gets nerfed.

9n3ST25.jpg

On the plus side there is a bit more variety: I had a Warrior at 7, Shaman at 8 and the last one was a Druid. He got Spreading Plague, Bonemare 1 + second one from Forager to save his bacon three times after early flappy bird and Hydra. I missed the 7/17 to draw what I needed to clear the Taunt and finish him with my Sabretooth Stalker (2 FWA, Mortal Strike, Blood Razor, Fool's Bane, Kor'Kron Elite, Argent Commander). After the missed draw, he played UI and it was over.

New Arena mode went live today and will be active for 2 weeks I believe. You get 1 free Arena ticket each week and can combine two classes (you pick one main class and a hero power from a different class and can then draft cards from both classes). You also get a couple of Old Gods card packs after you complete a run. I managed to go 9-3 with a decent Druid / Mage combination.

Annoyingly though I had a really good Druid deck that was on 4-0 which got retired due to the new mode (I thought it was supposed to start tomorrow), so I missed out on taking that deck further. Anyone else had a go at the new mode? Certainly makes a nice change to Arena for the time-being anyway!

I've had 3 runs at this with widely varying results.

First we had the not so awesome combo of Mage - Priest (I'd argue that the reverse is very strong though) which I managed to pilot to 0-3. The deck was that bad.

Then I played Warlock - Mage and went 7-3 with a strong deck that won unless the opponent managed to sieze the board early (Prince Malchazzar is kinda good :P).

And the last one was Paladin-Shaman, which I do not recommend at all. 2-3 and my early game was weak plus no good removal.

I also had a decent run with Paladin /Hunter (6 wins I think), but Mage / Warlock only got me 3. 

QSURKLP.png

This is a dirty; dirty Shaman arena deck and while it's only 2/0 so far; it has absolutely run over both enemies so far. The first being a Rouge with The Lich King. The other was slightly less impressive... but absolutely hilarious.

A Priest. He played quite a lot of minions; and a Thoughtsteal.

When he's obviously dead, he Shadow Visions. 1 card pops up.

Thoughtsteal: Created by Shadow Visions

So... the only spells this Priest had in his ENTIRE DECK were Thoughsteal x2 and Shadow Visions. Did I mention he drafted Lightwarden?

I was scared for the deck's lategame; then Pick 30 was Legendary with Malchezarr and Deathwing: Dragonlord [And some random garbage leggo]. With no dragons... the option was clear. Even without Malchezarr; it has 2 4 mana 7/7's; 2 Cubes; 2 Hexes; Doppleganster with some Evolve support; and even a bit of Jade and weaponry. [And yes I did pick Unstable Evolution x2. The other Epic choices there were even worse.]

Edited by raikaria

Awards

How far did you get? Unstable evolution doesn't seem like a bad Arena card. There are obviously a lot more bad evolution outcomes now than before, but the fact that you can keep evolving until you get a good outcome makes it decent I think.

How are you guys liking the new Arena system? Personnally, I really dislike it, it's nowhere near as fun as it used to be.

I think it’s still ok, but am not playing as much Arena as before these days. 

Had my first 12 win run in a while with a Shaman deck that didn't seem all that good to me at first glance:

http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/t76z21

Mostly just solid minions and some decent card draw, but almost no removal. Windfury won me a few games by providing surprise lethals too.

New Arena event spices things up a bit, which makes a welcome change. Some of the new cards are a lot better than others, but overall I like it when they do things like this.

Just finished a 12-1 run with a Warlock deck: https://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/h15cs5

It's the first time I've managed 12 wins with Warlock, which is a strong class in the current Arena meta. Only classes that I have yet to get 12 wins with are Priest, Hunter and Warrior. At least it gives me something to achieve still in this game lol!

Sign in to follow this  

• Support the OCC

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse